Saturday, July 4, 2015

What does a trash can have to do with joy?

Every artist's studio has some place to put scraps and trash.  On a trip to my local hardware store I found the perfect place for my trash - a mini version of a garbage can! I love it. It made me smile the moment I saw it. Joy! It is so much fun to have in my art space.

The trash can has been a part of my professional voice for many years. I saw so many people who had experienced deep pain, hurt, embarrassment and even abuse who had defined themselves by that pain inflicted on them by others. 

That pain lived in their hearts and minds. Often it ruled everything in their lives. The loveliness and strength, the gifts and talents of these people were often hidden by the scars of past pain. I have been there. You may have been there too.

For a time pain and hurt serves as a helpful reminder to a person of the dangers that often exist in the world of relationships. What once served a good purpose grows until it becomes the cause of pain itself. Enter the trash can. 

In therapy, in coaching and yes, even in your daily planner, the trash can becomes a way to intentionally choose to discard pain so that joy may take its place. For many years I have encouraged my clients to thank the pain for serving to help keep them safe. Then choose to discard the pain and choose to replace it with a new joy.

In the Midori style inserts I have created for my planner, a small sketch of a trash can is always there in the weekly sections. On it I write the negatives that I am choosing to discard that day or week. Then I write the plan I have to look for joy to replace that old pain.

What needs to be intentionally discarded in your week? How will you plan 4 joy? 


No comments:

Post a Comment